As the temperatures heat up more skin is shown. To the Christian we look at every issues through the lens of Scripture. Even what we wear is under the Lordship of Jesus. Therefore, Christian men and women need to think seriously about the issue of modesty.
The purpose of this article is not to provide a dress code, but rather to lay out specific principles that can aid thoughtful Christians to examine themselves and determine what those who love and fear the Lord should wear.
1. Don’t let the world set your standards. If your definition of thinking through modesty issues is to go to the store and buy whatever they sell, then you have a problem. A lot of stuff that stores sale should not be in the closet of the Christians. Stores are trying to make money, they are not attempting to honor God with their purchases. Christians, though, should be.
2. This is for the parents: You have the right to say NO! This right is God given. The book of Proverbs clearly shows the importance of parents aiding children through wise decisions. Children and teens have the tendency to make foolish decisions. Parents you are there to limit them. When it come to dress and modesty, feel free to be a parent.
3. Ask, what does how I dress say about me? 1 Timothy 2 and 1 Peter 3 both show that Christians (specifically Christian women in the context), need to make sure that they dress modestly. They should want to be known by their godly character and their quiet spirits. Immodest dress that unduly draws attention to a woman hinders this. Whether this dress is to show off wealth, or sexuality, women need to consider what they are saying with their dress.
4. Consider others. The verses in Scripture that speak of offending our brothers have often times been misused. However, in this case it is appropriate to take them into consideration. Offended, or being a stumbling block, in these sections, means doing something that causes your brother to sin. Clothing has the ability to do this. Seductive clothing can cause people to stumble. So if you are wearing clothing to draw attention to your sexuality, then you need to consider what that will do to others.
5. Can we please have some Titus 2 Older Women and Men step up in our churches?! In God’s plan older men and women teach the younger men and women. We need some of the wiser men and women in our churches to develop relationships with the younger men and women, and then use those relationships as a way to teach them godly principles.
Would you add any other advice?