Donald Trump said the United States should spend less on the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
"We are paying disproportionately. It's too much and frankly it's a different world than it was when we originally conceived of the idea," Trump said on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."
"We have to reconsider. Keep NATO, but maybe we have to pay a lot less toward NATO itself," he said.
The United States should maintain its role in NATO, but should stop carrying such a heavy burden funding it, Trump said after The Washington Post reported he said the United States should stop nation-building.
Trump admitted that other NATO members might not be happy with his idea, but added, "they have to help us also."
The United States can't afford to do all of this anymore to the same extent," he said, noting that NATO's creation after World War II "was a different time, it was a different age."
On other issues, Trump said:
Reuters contributed to this report.
- He would not send 20,000 American troops to wipe out the Islamic State (ISIS), but would gather the needed troops from Arab allies if American generals told him the troops were needed.
- Said he would move the U.S. Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem "fairly quickly."
- Said he does not want the support of white supremacist groups. "Of course, I condemn them. Always," he said. "I don't want their support. I don't need their support."
- Said he would be willing to build one of his hotels in Havana. At the right time, when we're allowed to do it." he said. "Right now we're not."
- Said he would "certainly try" to get his supporters not to riot if they feel he is denied the nomination, but added, "I have no control over the people." His supporters are "very angry" and "have been misled by politicians for years, and they're tired of it," he said.
- Said he continues attacking Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly because she has an "obsession" with him and reports inaccurately on him. "And frankly if she didn't, her ratings would drop down far lower than yours," he told Blitzer.