Ezekiel was 30 years old and living among the Israelites in Tel Aviv during the Babylonian captivity. God called him to preach, to be a prophet, to share a message. “Son of man, go to the house of Israel and speak with My words to them.” – Ez. 3:4
God was telling Ezekiel, “This isn’t going to be easy.” “…the house of Israel will not listen to you, because they will not listen to Me; for all the house of Israel are impudent and hard-hearted.” (Ez. 3:7) Ezekiel was so overwhelmed at the calling of God that he went to Tel Aviv and sat among his people for seven days (Ez 3:15), trying to comprehend what had just happened to him.
During those seven days, Ezekiel was bitter and in much turmoil. He was being asked to share an unpopular message with an unreceptive people. He was feeling trepidation, but God’s callings are without repentance. (Romans 11:29) So, he set out to obey God.
“At the end of seven days the word of the Lord came to me: “Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me. When I say to a wicked man, ‘You will surely die,’ and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. But if you do warn the wicked man and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his evil ways, he will die for his sin; but you will have saved yourself.” (Ezekiel 3:16-19)
What did it mean to be a “watchman”? A watchman was a sentry, someone who would stand on the wall of the city, looking for any danger or threat. If the watchman saw an invading army on the horizon or if he observed a riot or a fire within the city, his job was to sound the alarm, to warn the people.
We have an awesome responsibility to be watchmen for America. We have an unpopular message that God wants us to deliver to an unreceptive people. For those who deny the existence of God, we declare the reality of a living God. To those who would deny that Christ is the Son of God, we declare him to be not just the Son of God, he is the great ‘I am’; he is one with God Almighty. For those who want to live in their sin and reject the salvation of God, we declare to them that he sacrificed his very son that we might be saved to the uttermost.
As servants of the living God, as watchmen on the wall, what message does God want us to share with America today?
We as watchmen on the wall need to fight for the soul of America.
America auctioned its soul in back in the 1960′s.
Napoleon said, “In order to establish the revolution you have to destroy the past.”
Bob Dylan wrote a song that captured the sense of revolution: The Times They Are A Changin’
“Come Senators, Congressman,
Please head the call.
Don’t block the doorway,
Don’t block up the hall.
Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
Don’t criticize what you can’t understand
Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin’
Please get out of the new one,
If you can’t lend a hand
For your times, they are a changin’.
The cultural or sexual revolution of the ’60′s changed our lives forever.
Those still traveling the old road are despised and rejected. The rebels have built a new road thereby attempting to change America’s destiny:
- It is no longer about us; it is now about “me.”
- We are no longer citizens of America; we are citizens of the world.
- Sex is no longer pro-creational; it is now simply recreational.
- Marriage has been replaced by cohabitation.
- Faithfulness in marriage is scorned, and divorce is expected.
- We hand our children condoms rather than teach them abstinence.
- Woman as bread-winners are admired while women as mothers are scorned.
- Gay marriage is morally accepted while sodomy is not longer a moral outrage.
- The people no longer determine their own government; the courts now decide how we are governed.
- Free speech is now replaced by politically correct speech, and self-appointed speech police enforce their unwritten laws.
- The irrational has replaced common sense.
- Animals are given more rights than humans, especially the unborn.
- Eastern religion is replacing western spirituality.
- The true and only God is replaced by the Force.
- “I am the way” has been replaced by “There are many ways to heaven.”
- Easter has been replaced by Earth Day.
- “Merry Christmas” has been replaced by “Happy Holidays.”
- Christian America has now become a society of religious mongrels.
It took 2,000 years to mold the building blocks that would be used to establish a great country like America. It only took one generation for those blocks to crumble to dust.
As watchmen on a crumbling wall, we must rise up like our forefathers. With similar courage and boldness, we must declare that God is still sovereign; He still hears the voices of millions of Christians living in a pagan culture. His power has not been diminished one iota! We are blessed if He chooses to smile on us, and we are cursed if He chooses to frown on our rebellion.